Hot Tub Info.
Fenns Barn & Foggs' Barn both have a wood fired hot tub situated in their gardens for private use to the guests of these cottages. We charge an additional fee for this and it includes wood, bathrobes (not to be taken home), slippers and locally sourced scented candle and chocolates.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION BEFORE ENTERING THE TUB
1. Make sure the tub is clean and free from damage before filling.
2. Fill with clean water. DO NOT start the wood heater until the tub is fully filled up with water to about 10 cm from the top of the tub, as heat can damage the hot tub. The heater must only be operated by a competent adult. Only use logs and sticks to heat the tub. It should take two to three hours to heat to the desired temperature (36°C to 39°C). Water should be stirred with the paddle before entering.
3. It is recommended to go into the tub when the temperature is not higher than 39°C in winter and 36°C in summer. The temperature of the hot tub should not exceed 40°C as this is dangerous to health and can damage the hot tub. It is recommended that time in hot tubs should be for no longer than 15 minutes. Regular cooling off times are recommended between sessions. Never sleep in the tub.
4. It is strictly forbidden to jump into the water from the edges of the tub.
5. Be careful with the heater and chimney to avoid burns. Children must be always kept away from the heater and chimney.
6. When the water temperature rises above 40°C, cooling can be done by simply adding cold water from the hosepipe.
7. Children under 16 years of age are not allowed in the tub unsupervised. It is not recommended that any small children use the tub because of the risk of overheating or of drowning.
8. It is recommended to take a shower before entering the tub, especially making sure that suntan lotion or fake tan is removed. Normal bathing clothes should be worn.
9. Drain the water from the tub after every use when the burner has cooled. It is strictly forbidden to drain water from the tub while the wood heater is hot as this will cause serious damage.
10. After using the hot tub, replace the cover securely to prevent children from harm.
11. DO NOT reheat used water. Clean water must be used for each heating.
12. Enough wood is supplied for heating the tub for about three days; if any more is required, this must be purchased separately.
13. It is not recommended to drink alcohol while in the tub because of health risks and drowning. If a guest has any medical conditions, it is advised that they seek advice from their doctor before entering the tub.
14. Glass and sharp objects are not allowed near the tub.
Amber Hot Tubs FAQs
HOW LONG DOES THE WATER TAKE TO HEAT UP?
This depends on the burner and tub size, as well as the temperature of the water used to fill the tub and the outside weather conditions but typically it takes about 2 - 3 hours to heat the water to the desired temperature of 36-40 °C. You can control the temperature by regulating the amount of wood added and the air supply to the heater, no forgetting that there is always the option to add further cold water from the hosepipe. For those that have heart issues, or other medical conditions, you should avoid bathing in high temperatures (consult your doctor if unsure).
IS THERE A MAXIMUM TIME I CAN SPEND IN THE WOOD FIRED HOT TUB?
Generally, it is best to keep it short, about 15 minutes a session. Wait until you are properly cooled down before another session, which should be a bit shorter than the first. Stay hydrated by drinking water.
HOW DO I CONTROL THE WATER TEMPERATURE?
Use the floating thermometer to monitor the water temperature at all times. Once you reach 36 - 38°C, simply stop adding wood to the burner. If the water is too hot, add cold water with the hose. When the water is at the desired temperature, just a small amount of wood in the burner will be required to maintain this.
DO I NEED TO CHANGE THE WATER OFTEN?
It is advised to change the water after each use when the burner has cooled. The tap at the base of the tub drains the water. Fresh water can be added using the hose.
DO I HAVE TO CLEAN OUT MY WOODEN HOT TUB’S HEATER FREQUENTLY?
You do not have to empty the wood fired hot tub’s heater out completely every time after use. It should work fine if there is enough room for the air to circulate and keep the fire going. Before cleaning out the ash, make sure the embers have cooled down and use a long-handled shovel to handle them. These can then be put into the ash bucket.